Monday, August 2, 2010

On Being Under Authority

image

I'll never forget those astonishing words: “Your employment with this church will end as of…” Although I knew that my leaders were making restructuring plans, I came into that meeting expecting to review the budget for my department. Yet with that stunning announcement, my whole world came to a stand-still. Suddenly, I was facing the prospect of being unemployed for the first time in years. I remember thinking, “How are you working for my good in this one Lord” (cf. Rom. 8:28).

Often, we face transitions that are not personally chosen. In reality, they are chosen for us by someone else and we’re left to handle it. The purpose of this article is to share my story of processing this unexpected shift and the special transformation it brought into my life. My hope is that the reader will be encouraged to manage an imposed transition well and in doing so, bring glory to God.

A solemn word of foresight was given to Peter near the end of the gospel of John. Jesus said to him: “I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!” (John 21:18-19 NIV)

In light of this, let me propose two hard questions that I dealt with in processing my situation. First, what are your true feelings about imposed change and/or loss? In these moments it’s difficult to submit to losing power and control, especially when it happens through no fault of your own (cf. 1 Pet. 2:18-21).

John Piper urges Christian leaders to prepare people for times of distress by enlarging their ideas of contentment: “If God is most glorified in our people when they are most satisfied in him… [then] we must build into our people’s minds and hearts a vision of God and his ways that helps them see suffering not merely as a threat to their satisfaction in God (which it is), but also as a means to their satisfaction in God (which it is).”

My second question is how do you truly feel about being under another person’s authority? I’ll admit that more than once I’ve meditated on the prospect of never again allowing myself to be vulnerable to the decisions of others. Yet this is almost impossible to avoid because working relationships constantly involve some deference, but also mutuality. The writer of Hebrews addresses this by saying, “Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you” (Hebrews 13:17 TNIV). Consequently, I had to weigh how much trust I would have toward those in leadership over me.

Duane Elmer defines trust as, “the ability to build confidence in a relationship so that both parties believe the other will not intentionally hurt them but will act in their best interest.” In the leader-follower relationship, both parties contribute to the level of trust that exists between them. Consequently, if a person inherently lacks trust in his or her leaders without just cause, that relationship will be quickly deteriorate and eventually everyone loses.

When I sat in that meeting with my supervisors, after some initial shock subsided, I asked them, “What should I do now?” They immediately recommended that I go to seminary and further invest in my gifts and knowledge for greater future ministry. They believed in me. 

Sometimes in an unexpected and imposed change, we can emerge better off than if the transition had never happened. But this usually comes by surrendering the power to control and finding greater satisfaction in trusting God to work on your behalf. In doing so, you may find that you’ve developed more faith in him, and maybe even in others, than you had ever conceived before. I’m sure Paul knew this when he wrote, “My life, an offering on God’s altar. This is the only race worth running” (2 Tim. 4:7, The Message).

References:

Duane Elmer, Cross-cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christ-like Humility (Downers Grove, ILL: InterVarsity Press, 2006), 77.

John Piper, “Preparing People to Suffer,” eds. Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson, The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2005), 627.

No comments:

Post a Comment