Saturday, November 27, 2010

The NIV 2011 version of the Holy Bible

My first Bible was a 1984 New International Version (NIV) translation. This version remains my favourite but not because of its particular wording.  Because of hours spent in Bible study almost all scripture I have memorized is from the NIV. As a result, whenever the Holy Spirit speaks to me through scripture, the NIV’s version of the phrase comes to mind. I feel I have forever linked the memory capacities of my mind with the spiritual capacities of my heart through the NIV.  There’s an investment there that has eternal value.

So it’s with keen interest that I pay attention to any updates to this translation.  I studied the quality of the TNIV in seminary I found it to a fine translation but I was aware that version was controversial to some and the processes involved in its production bothered others.

Here’s a chart that summarizes the changes in the NIV 2011  (courtesy of John Dyer):

niv-verse-comparison

You can read the newest version of the NIV here.  Below is an introduction by Dr. Douglas Moo, Chair of the Committee on Bible Translation, the body of scholars who look after the text of the NIV.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rob!

    Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about the issues surrounding the TNIV, and I think I remember hearing that they were going to be incorporating some or most of it into the newest edition of the NIV. I read the article on Christianity Today, and it sounds as though a lot of the 'problems' with the TNIV were they way it was handled publicly (whether or not people understood the changes, how that process was explained to the public, etc.) Am I right on this? Also, do you know what sort of verses are included in that 0.8% where the NIV2011 will revert back to the NIV1984 over the TNIV?

    Thanks a lot!

    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the process of introducing the TNIV was controversial but the gender inclusive language influence is probably more controversial. This is part of why the English Standard Version (ESV) was produced to counter such translations. Unfortunately, I am not sure which verses make up the 0.8% portions.

    ReplyDelete