Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Idolatry 3: Test yourself

Diagnostic criteria or questions can be applied to a variety of contexts in order to determine the presence of disease, disorder, quality assurance or just a different perspective.

Fullbo1

The following questions will help you check if there are any deep idols lurking in your heart:

  • Do I feel like I have enough money and possessions that reflect my worth or do I feel I need more?
  • Do I think I have enough of the power and control I feel I deserve or do I want more?
  • Do I need any specific relationship attachment for my life to be truly meaningful or successful?
  • How often do I fantasize about being admired, envied, feared, or respected?
  • Do I often feel I am the only one who truly understands right doctrine and the heart of God? Do I feel anger and hold grudges toward others who don’t think just like me?
  • Are there any activities or desires I am following that have made me more defensive, rationalizing, justifying, and secretive?
  • Has anyone tried to point these issues out to me before resulting in distancing myself from them relationally?

No comments:

Post a Comment