Thursday, February 24, 2011

The strange silence of God 2

The silence or hiddenness of God touches questions such as: why does prayer seem to go unanswered? Why does there seem to be no apparent progress on his plan or promises? Why has Jesus not returned yet?

Probably, the most personal question is “What do I do during these times?”

This hiddenness is actually a key part of a biblical worldview. Peter comments in his first letter that certain trials come into our life to “prove the genuineness of our faith”, which he explains is of greater worth than gold. This genuine faith, he says, “…may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.” (1 Peter 1:8-9)

I don’t fully understand why God chooses to hide himself at times, but I do know that even Jesus experienced it. Shortly before he died, Christ apparently sensed an abrupt loss of the communion with the Father and cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matt. 27:46). But no answer came.

I also know, and is so good to remember, that God’s silence to his only Son was a part of his plan for the good of all humankind. God’s silence does not indicate his absence; he is probably watching and listening more intently.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your closing idea here: that we need not to interpret God's apparent absence, his silence, as him not understanding or being present with us. By faith we can anticipate just the opposite--that his silence is part of a grander picture which, though it might seem strange in the moment, makes sense when we try and orient ourselves to God's perspective. Like you said, God's silence in the moment of Jesus' death feels odd in the context of the intimate communion Jesus shared with his Father. Yet when we choose to see it in light of salvation history we discover some measure of clarity. The bigger picture reveals the meaning.

    How true of our own lives? I can remember being troubled by God's apparent absence (or hiddeness) for a season in my life. Yet in reflective hindsight I see now how he was fostering growth in my life. I didn't understand it. But knowing that he is loving and greater than me helps me to believe that he is at work in those moments. Perhaps even more so than I realize.

    Looking forward to part 3! Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nik! I don't have a part 3 to this yet. This was based on a sermon I preached recently so these posts pretty much cover the message. There's some more on this topic on the Parchment and Pen blog at http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2011/03/questions-i-hope-no-one-asks-why-is-god-so-silent/

    ReplyDelete