Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The strange prosperity of the ungodly 1

A frequent strategy in my teaching is to contrast the Christian life with the worldly life. Aspects of our struggle with worldliness always seem to arise. This often causes a faith dilemma for those who trust in God’s goodness but also witness an odd disparity in lifestyle with some of those who dismiss God but are quite wealthy.  The dilemma leads to the question: why should the people who reject God be better off than those who trust Him?

This situation reminds me of the expression “Keeping up with the Joneses”, which refers to the comparisons people draw to their neighbours as a benchmark for social or financial success. Their homes, cars, clothes, and other possessions are the evidence of such success. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as inferiority.

image

In Psalm 73, Asaph describes his mental and emotional struggle when he compared his life as one committed to the LORD with the lives of his acquaintances who did not put God first. It causes him deep discouragement:

1 Truly God is good to Israel, to those whose hearts are pure.

2 But as for me, I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone.

3 For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness.

4 They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong.

5 They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else.

6 They wear pride like a jewelled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty.

The evidence before Asaph challenged him to his very core. Is godly living a joke? Were the irreligious and ungodly enjoying the only real goodness available? Was he missing out on the actual “good life”? He goes on to describe this:

12 Look at these wicked people—enjoying a life of ease while their riches multiply.

13 Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason?

14 I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain.

15 If I had really spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people.

16 So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is!

Consider the parallels today:

  • A single Christian remains lonely while their promiscuous friend never seems to be without a romantic relationship.
  • An ambitious co-worker who “doctors” reports and curries favour receives a promotion while an honest man of integrity is laid off.
  • A wealthy celebrity retains legions of adoring fans despite blatant acts of irresponsibility and disregard for the law.
  • An incompetent politician is elected to office because of their charisma then proceeds to mismanage the budget and dole out patronage appointments.

How can we learn to nurture our desire for God and his ways? Especially when there’s such an onslaught of messages, desirable material goods, relationships, and influences around us every day. What a difficult task this is!

No comments:

Post a Comment